I have certainly neglected my costume blog this year, I seem to be spending my time either making costumes, reading, or just living life. So I will do an overview, but it will have to be separated.
FebruaryFebruary started with an event held up at Parks Victoria - Hanging Rock. The theme was 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'. For those who may not be aware, a famous Australia novel takes place at Hanging Rock about a group of school girls who go missing, Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
The book is set at the turn of the Century, 1900 on Valentines Day. So dress code was late Victorian or Edwardian. I chose to go Edwardian.
Even though this costume looks simple, there was to much hand sewing for my liking. The lace on the shirt, which of course needed to be tighter and the black ribbon trimming on the skirt, is all hand sewn on. It was worth it in the end, but my poor wrist complained in the end.
The next costume I semi completed, was for a friends 40th birthday. So what I mean 'semi completed', for the last 12 months I have been making a costume based on a colour fashion plate. I had completed the lower part of the costume, but not the bodice. I was having difficulty with the bodice. So I made the crazy decision to make another bodice.
The 4th Annual Melbourne Regency Picnic came around so quickly. I decided to wear one of my old Regency Dresses. When I first wore it back at the 1st picnic, I had no stays at that point. This time I had stays, and it certainly improved the look of the outfit. The fabric was made in Korea and I purchased it from Luccello in Melbourne, Australia. Also to complete the outfit, I purchased reproduction 1700's spectacles from Townsends in the USA. It was a successful picnic, looking forward to our 5th Annual Picnic in April 2019.
JuneI'm a volunteer for The National Trust of Australia. One of my volunteer jobs was to help in the sewing department. I contributed with others to sew large curtains, pillow covers, reproductions of a Victorian Cape and Bodice. I also got to make a reproduction of a boys 1895 dress. I was very fortunate to be able to analysis the original Victorian boys dress. Measurements were taken to draft a pattern, and I used muslin. The embroidery on the original dress, was the only element that wasn't reproduced. Now that the dress is completed, it is permanently up on display in the children's room at Rippon Lea.
The dress now on display.